Santa Barbara Attorney | Maureen A. Grattan
Phone: (805) 963-9721
Fax: (805) 966-3715
Download Profile as PDF
Ms. Grattan has been a lawyer for over 30 years. She is both a trained mediator and an experienced trial lawyer. She also has experience and training in Collaborative Law. Her practice areas include family law and civil litigation.
In Family Law, Ms. Grattan believes that intelligent and creative solutions should be employed to minimize the financial and emotional toll of divorce and divorce-related issues on her clients and their children. She would prefer to brainstorm to find a win-win solution to court, and putting the children first is a focal point of her mediation efforts. Ms. Grattan is a strong advocate for learning how to communicate differently when the family paradigm changes, she does not believe in burning bridges. When collaborative or mediated settlements cannot be accomplished, she is prepared to litigate the issues in court assertively, professionally and effectively.
As a civil litigator, Ms Grattan has a track record of successful client representation that includes divorce and custody litigation, matters involving contract disputes, real estate, business torts and breaches of fiduciary duty. She excels in divorce mediation, custody mediation, support mediation, child support modifications, child custody modifications, premarital agreements (aka prenuptial agreements) and postmarital agreements.
Ms. Grattan is the Chair of the Family Law Section of the Santa Barbara County Bar Association, a member of the Santa Barbara Bench/Bar Committee, a Settlement Master for Santa Barbara County courts, and an attorney coach for the World Champion Dos Pueblos High School Mock Trial team. She is a former director of Santa Barbara Women's Lawyers.
Ms. Grattan received her J.D. from the University of California, Hastings in 1981, where she was a Review Editor for the Constitutional Law Quarterly. Prior to law school, she taught elementary school in Vacaville, CA. She holds a California Lifetime Teaching Credential. She received her credential training at the University of California, Davis and her A.B. from the University of California, Berkeley. She was admitted to the California Bar in 1981 and has since been admitted to all of the District Courts in California.
Ms. Grattan is one of the lucky few who grew up in Santa Barbara, left for higher education and was able to return to Santa Barbara to raise her own family.
- Family Law
- Divorce Mediation
- Custody Mediation
- Collaborative Law for Family Matters
- Collaborative Law for Business Matters
- Business & Commercial Law
- Civil Litigation & Appeals
- Real Estate Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1981
- State Bar of California, 1981
- University of California, Hastings, J.D., 1981
Law Review: Constitutional Law Quarterly, 1979-1981, Review Editor, 1980-1981
- Elementary Teaching Credential, University of California, Davis, 1973
- University of California, Berkeley, A.B., 1972
- Santa Clara University, 1968-1969
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association
- Chair, Family Law Section, 2013 to Present
- Dos Pueblos Mock Trial
- Attorney Coach 2007 to 2014, 2015 to Present
- Settlement Master, Santa Barbara Superior Court
- Santa Barbara Bench/Bar Committee, 2014 to Present
- Santa Barbara Women Lawyers
- Board Member, 2014